인기 게시판 TOP 50
BLACKPINK 10th Anniversary Controversy Summary | Criticism of Disregarding Fans with Only 40 People Selected by Lottery? [2026]
BLACKPINK, who celebrated their 10th anniversary in August 2026, faced criticism from fans regarding the preparation and execution of their commemorative event. This article summarizes the controversy based on the facts that have been confirmed, including the lottery limiting attendance to 40 people, the announcement made just two days before the event, the uncertainty surrounding the participation of the entire group, and problems with communication between the agency and the members.
BLACKPINK 10th Anniversary Controversy Summary | Criticism of Disregarding Fans with Only 40 People Selected by Lottery? [2026]
Q. What is the controversy surrounding BLACKPINK's 10th anniversary?
A. This incident involved fans expressing dissatisfaction with the lack of preparation for the commemorative event leading up to their 10th anniversary on August 8, 2026, as well as the management methods, such as limiting attendance to 40 people and announcing it only two days before the event. The fact that it was unclear until the last minute whether all members would participate, and problems with communication between the agency and the members were also pointed out, and member Jisoo issued an apology.
table of contents
- Summary of the BLACKPINK 10th Anniversary Controversy
- Point 1: Lack of commemorative events
- Point 2: 40 people will be selected by lottery and the announcement will be made shortly before the event.
- Point 3: Uncertainty about full participation
- Point 4: Communication between the agency and the members
- Jisoo's apology and commemoration of the complete group
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Overview of the BLACKPINK 10th Anniversary Controversy
BLACKPINK (Jisoo, Jennie, Rosé, Lisa) debuted on August 8, 2016, and celebrated their 10th anniversary on August 8, 2026. They are a globally popular group with over 100 million YouTube subscribers.
However, ahead of the significant milestone of their 10th anniversary, fans expressed dissatisfaction regarding the preparations and management of the commemorative event. Ultimately, a fan event called "Meet & Greet" was held at the National Museum of Korea in Seoul on August 8th, and all four members appeared together in a live broadcast on Weverse. However, the process leading up to it was perceived as "insufficient preparation" and "disregard for fans," sparking controversy.
The following four points were at the heart of the controversy:
2. Point ①: Lack of commemorative events
As they approached their 10th anniversary, there were almost no announcements made beforehand regarding the release of a commemorative single or any other significant plans. Even when their 3rd mini-album "DEADLINE" was released in February 2026, it was said that the period passed quietly with few appearances on music programs or original content, and it is said that fans had been feeling a growing sense of dissatisfaction by the first half of the year.
The only notable development regarding their 10th anniversary was the release of commemorative goods called the "Heritage Collection" in collaboration with the National Museum of Korea. As a result, fans expressed dissatisfaction with the fact that the commemoration was primarily focused on merchandise, with some saying they wanted to meet BLACKPINK themselves rather than buy merchandise.
3. Point ②: 40 people will be selected by lottery and the announcement will be made shortly before the event.
On August 6th, just two days before their 10th anniversary, their agency, YG Entertainment, announced the holding of a fan event, "Meet & Greet," through the fan platform Weverse.
However, its management methods have drawn further criticism. The main points are as follows:
| From the BLACKPINK 10th Anniversary lottery announcement | |
|
notice
• Location: Somewhere in Seoul (The exact location will be provided individually to the winners)
[How to apply]
[Notes] |
|
| item | Content |
| Date | August 8, 2026 (Debut Day) |
| Announcement date | August 6th, two days before the event |
| Number of participants | 40 people will be selected by lottery from Weverse paid members. |
| Time and place |
The only information given was "somewhere in Seoul," with the specific time and location being kept secret.
|
| Application period | It's a short time, about 9 hours. |
The 10th-anniversary event for a group with a fandom of tens of millions of members drew criticism for only inviting 40 people and for the fact that the time and location remained unclear until just before the event. In particular, because the lottery was held at the last minute, even those who won had to hastily adjust their schedules, and there were numerous criticisms that it was almost impossible for fans living in rural areas or overseas to arrange transportation and accommodation.
4. Point 3: Uncertainty regarding the full participation of the group.
Initially, the participating members were announced as follows: "Only a select number of members will be able to participate according to their schedules." This was the prevailing sentiment. As a result, there was speculation that not all members would be able to attend the 10th anniversary, which caused widespread anxiety among the fandom.
Around this time, rumors of Rosé's absence spread after she was spotted in Los Angeles, USA, and some even mentioned the possibility of Lisa's absence. Rosé's agency, THE BLACK LABEL, explained that they had prioritized securing the date well in advance.
Ultimately, YG officially announced on August 7th that "all four members will participate," confirming their participation as a complete group.
5. Point ④: Communication between the agency and the members
It has been reported that the series of turmoil stemmed from communication problems between the agency and the members. According to sources, YG had previously proposed various 10th-anniversary event plans to the members, but the communication during that process did not go smoothly, making it difficult to adjust the direction and schedule of the event. The participation of all four members was also decided at the last minute.
6. Jisoo's apology and the celebration of the group as a whole.
On August 8, 2026, Jisoo, Jennie, Rosé, and Lisa appeared together as a complete group on a Weverse live stream. It had been a long time since all four members had appeared together in public, as they had all been busy with solo activities.
During the broadcast, Jisoo addressed the series of controversies herself. She stated that the members fully understood the significance of their 10th anniversary and wanted to meet more fans, and apologized for the problems that arose during the process of communication and information exchange. She also said that they have not forgotten that it is the fans (BLINKs) who have made BLACKPINK shine for the past 10 years.
Source: Okk_Yuuu
After the event, Jisoo was seen shedding tears after receiving handwritten letters from fans. As she shed the tears she had been holding back, fans cheered even louder. Jisoo rarely shows her emotions, so her reaction deeply moved her fans. The fact that Jisoo was the member who directly apologized during the series of controversies is also said to be one of the reasons why her tears were perceived as particularly poignant.
On August 8th, prior to the event, Jisoo also sent a message through a fan platform. She wrote that this anniversary had turned into a day filled with regret, and that while there had been various events during the 10 years she spent as a member of BLACKPINK and as Jisoo, she always wanted to show a good side of herself and be someone who could bring happiness even during difficult times. She said that her heart ached knowing that many fans (BLINKs) were heartbroken, and she reiterated her gratitude for those who celebrated the 10th anniversary and her apologies for causing them such sadness.
7. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q. Why did BLACKPINK's 10th anniversary become a source of controversy?
A. This is because there were few commemorative events, the fan event was limited to 40 people and announced only two days before it was held, the participation of the entire group remained uncertain until the last minute, and there were alleged problems with communication between the agency and the members.
Q. Were there really 40 people who attended the fan event?
A. Yes. It was for 40 people selected by lottery from Weverse's paid members. The announcement was made just two days before the event, and the specific time and location were not revealed until the last minute.
Q. Did all the members participate?
A. Initially, it was announced that only some members would participate, but YG officially announced on August 7th that all four members would participate, and on August 8th, they appeared as a complete group at the event and live stream.
Q. What kind of apology did Jisoo offer?
A. During a live stream on August 8th, they acknowledged that problems arose during the communication and information exchange process and apologized for disappointing their fans.
🔥Other interesting articles we recommend for you
Get the latest global entertainment news in the FanPlus community 💗
Former TOKIO member Tomoya Nagase apologizes for "sulking" | What happened? Summary of the posts
Jenny's answers about living together | Summary of her views on love and ideal type
[2026] Who will Daiki Shigeoka and Takahiro Hamada marry? WEST. Marriage Summary